Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bring me a higher love

Things seem to happen to me in waves. For example, one week I found a dime on the street EVERY SINGLE DAY; one time used condoms were the theme of the week and another time I seemed to have left a wake of subway track fires and yet another time I got to witness random men masturbating in public. Taken to the extreme was the day back in 1986. I woke up to Steve Winwood's Higher Love on the radio. Every single store I went into that day had some version of Higher Love playing, even a muzak version at Woolworths and a Montovani-violin version in an elevator. It was driving me crazy--I couldn't escape it. Anyway . . .

One day recently I was talking with my manager and for some reason Steve Winwood came up and so I told him this story. Then on my way home from work I stopped into Duane Reade and--Higher Love. Got out of the subway and stopped into Rite Aid--Higher Love. OMG! Please get this song out of my life!!!!!!!

One of the strangest musical coincidences was the time I had There is a Rose in Spanish Harlem running through my nob (don't ask. I haven't figured out my brain either.) and I stopped into Rite Aid and there it was, playing on the radio.

But to kill two themes with one stone, in 1987 I was working at the Metropolitan Museum of Art book shop and one night was walking out after late-night closing time with a very good-looking co-worker and I had Debbie Gibson's Only in my Dreams running through my brain. All of a sudden, Robert starts singing that song! Then we got outside and were walking in the dark around the side of the museum and we saw a guy masterbating in the bushes. Didn't give Robert any ideas though. Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment