Monday, August 31, 2009

Indian by way of Italian and Japanese (with NO thanks to the Singing Nun)

I've never entered a radio contest. I've never known ANYONE who has entered a radio contest. Until last week.

My brother-in-law Michael (who is married to Saint Jerome's sister Jacqueline) was listening to WBEN (home of Sandy Beach from whom I first learned of "pizza arms" by way of Michael of course) when he heard this:

There were three #1 hits between 1958 and 1963 that were totally in a foreign language. Name two.

Michael, a font of information, dragged two from the back recesses of his brain and Jacqueline dialed the phone. Did they get a busy signal. NO! The phone rang and rang and rang. Did they eventually get through? YES!!!!! What were two of the three #1 hits between 1958 and 1968 that were sung entirely in a foreign language?

Volare (Nel blu dipinto di blu) and Sukiyaki

The third was Dominique (nique, nique) by the Singing Nun.

He won a $25 gift certificate to an Indian Restaurant! You'd think that having to come up with foreign language #1 hit songs from the dark recesses of memory one would win millions of dollars (or at least $1,000), but they were lucky to get through, much less win. They've never had Indian food before so we suggested Tandori chicken (which is the restaurant's specialty) which is enough to convert anyone.

For your listening pleasure:





1 comment:

  1. The singing nun was a record that played in my house throughout my childhood. Anytime I her the name Dominique I start singing the song. Thanks for getting that stuck in my head for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete