Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rock of Ages (cue the guitars . . .)

For some reason, people think that I only like opera, that I only know about opera and opera singers. I love it. I think it's my favorite musical form but I listen to a lot of different kinds of music and I always have. I really like almost all forms of vocal music. Anyway, it was the late 1980s or early 1990s and I was working at Rizzoli when these incidents occurred.
One day in 1991, I was at the front register when a very familiar-but-older-looking man made a purchase.  I check the name on his Amex: Raymond Manzarek. Of COURSE! Ray Manzarek of the Doors! One of my first music cassette tapes was the Door's album. I loved them. We chat, he leaves. I almost faint!

"Oh my god! (we didn't have OMG back then) Do you know who just left?"
No, who.
"Ray Manzarek!!!"
(puzzled looks galore)
Who's that? An opera singer?

I look at my coworkers as if they were crazy, just like they are looking at me as if I was crazy.

"Ray Manzarek from THE DOORS! You know, the rock band with Jim Morrison? You know the new movie with Val Kilmer. Kyle Maclachlan is playing him in the movie!" The movie was all over the place at the time and I was the only one who knew who he was. Raymond Manzarek would come in occasionally.




Another time I was covering the magazine register when Dave Davies came in and bought a British tabloid. The Kinks were in town during a concert tour. I recognized him right away. I was all "Wow! Did you see Dave Davies?"

Who?
"Dave Davies of The Kinks!"
You mean Ray Davies.
"No, I mean Dave Davies the guitarist, Ray Davies's younger brother."

I got crazy looks for this one too. I LOVE The Kinks too!

(But then again, I had to point out Sid Fernandez after he left the store to Matthew, the avid Mets fanatic who didn't recognize him even as he was helping him.)

1 comment:

  1. LOL. I love "brushes" with fame. I like to see the looks on the famous person's face. Are they tentative about being recognized. Are they mad I didn't "recognize" them. It's neat. Your record store job sounds like something out of Pretty In Pink!

    ReplyDelete